Tag Archives: ubuntu server

New Install of Ubuntu Server — Part IV (bugzilla)

Again, installing bugzilla was easy.  I took it straight from the repositories — and therefore I installed 2.22 (note that version if you are following this for a higher version…).  Migrating this was easier than mediawiki, but included a few more steps than subversion.  This page says the basics, but there are some key steps missing.

  • dump the database
  • make a backup of either your “data” or entire “bugzilla” directory.  Now… where’s that?  Under Ubuntu Server it is under /var/lib/bugzilla.
  • make a copy of your localconfig (from /etc/bugzilla)

On the new machine, you must first:

  • install bugzilla
  • create the bugzilla database
  • create your bugzilla user (e.g., bugs)
  • grant bugs the appropriate permissions which can be found here
  • backup /etc/bugzilla/localconfig and copy the one from the old machine — update the $db_pass in that file if necessary
  • restore the data or bugzilla directory in /var/lib/bugzilla (or where appropriate)
  • now you can import the dump per the appropriate database

And that is it.  It worked when I restarted apache!

Advertisements

New Install of Ubuntu Server — Part III (mediawiki)

Installing mediawiki is easy.  Setting up a new wiki is easy.  Migrating to a new server AND upgrading the version of mediawiki is triki…

My first issue was setting up the user.  I know SQL, but the exact specifics of some databases can elude me.  Enter my first “bit in the butt” moment with MySQL.  Apparently the best way to GRANT permissions to the mediawiki user is to use a statement similar to the following:

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE ON db_name.* TO db_user@’%’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘some password’;

It was that little percent sign (%) that bit me.

My second issue was upgrading mediawiki.  This, of course, is not a smart move to do as part of moving to a new server.  But, hey, I did it.  The final key was to run the update script (maintenance/update.php) that is included in the mediawiki install dir (/usr/share/mediawiki on Ubuntu).

Otherwise, the steps at this site, and the ones it links to, are great.


New Install of Ubuntu Server – Part II (subversion)

After installing the baseline of the server I needed to install subversion.  Installing subversion is something I have had trouble with in the past, and have been surrounded by talented people to fix my mistakes.

Yes, humility there.  I suck at installing subversion, but ask for help.  This time, I finally found the right resources to make things work as expected.  The interesting park is that I was moving content between servers, so I had to install, dump, load, and configure.  A couple more steps, but appears to have been successful.

1) This page provided simple instructions on installing and configuring subversion.  I did not import a project because I loaded from a dump.

2) This page provided fantastic instructions for dumping and loading subversion.  The notable changes I made where the user and groups I chown’d to because this subversion instance is controlled through apache modules.  So after the chown/chmod commands, I stopped.

3) Finally I needed a hint about why my apache server wasn’t letting me into the repository.  Here is the hint I needed.  Specifically the section about editing the httpd.conf file.


New Install of Ubuntu Server – Part I

I have installed Ubuntu Server before, but this time is different.  An instance completely pooched in a way that was not reliably recoverable.  For unknown reasons the virtual disks were unstable.  So, critical data was backed up and moved to a new image.  Not terribly difficult, but something fun to note.  Some really great sites helped with some of the more mundane details.

I will break this into four parts:  Server, Subversion, Mediawiki, and Bugzilla.

The server installation was direct and obvious:

  • install from the ISO
  • update
  • run a neat script (below) for a basic gnome desktop
  • install subversion, mediawiki, and bugzilla (exactly as named) from the repositories
  • update the host name (sudo hostname new-host-name; sudo vi /etc/hostname)
  • update the IP address to be static (sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces) — details below.

The neat script:

#!/bin/bash
#######################################################################
# Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal: Post-install script to install only the bare
# essentials of an Ubuntu Desktop.
#######################################################################
echo "[*] Installing Gnome Essentials"
sudo apt-get -y install gnome-core gdm network-manager-gnome fast-user-switch-applet \
human-theme x11-xserver-utils tangerine-icon-theme gnome-themes ubuntu-artwork \
jockey-gtk gnome-screensaver gnome-utils xorg
echo "[*] Installing Application Essentials"
sudo apt-get install -y gcalctool tsclient system-config-samba gnome-nettool ntfsprogs update-manager \
gdebi system-config-printer-gnome brasero gparted epiphany
exit

The new eth0 entry in the interfaces file (with real IPs obfuscated):

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address a.b.c.d
netmask 255.255.255.0
network a.b.c.0
broadcast a.b.c.255
gateway a.b.c.1

It was really that simple.

This page is also worth nothing where I found a superb set of steps to migrate users from the old server to the new server.