Tag Archives: 9.10

Kubuntu 9.10 Upgrade – fronk

fronk is my 32-bit file-server & quazi back-up machine.  I use this for random bits of development, testing, and primarily as a backup destination.

Saturday & Sunday I performed the 9.10 upgrade on this machine — in place.  I made sure to backup my xorg.conf, smb.conf, fstab, and source.list (apt) as those have been clobbered in the past.

  • KPackageKit exited with a failure — I think the servers were overloaded.  Rerunning it got all of the packages downloaded.
  • KPackageKit exited with an error code of <1> — whatever that means.  I ran sudo aptitude full-upgrade from the CLI.  The only thing remaining to do was to remove packages.
  • Reboot.
  • sudo apt-get upgrade showed nothing to do, and all repositories queried were karmic (9.10)

So, only one reboot, some hiccups that were resolved with persistence, and a lot of leaving this computer to do its own thing, the upgrade took about 16 hours.  I think that time is due to heavy traffic on the server.  I’ve never had it take this long.

Update from my future self:  yes, it was the server traffic.  Two other upgrades took about an hour.


Bonded Networking

Sometimes things are exactly as easy as they appear to be, and sometimes moreso.

I just followed this guide and now have bonded networking.  In theory, this means I have a 200Mbps connection to my network now.

Since I don’t like it when others point to a webpage and say that all they did was what was written, I’ll be more specific.

  1. I did nothing to my switch/router
  2. I installed ifenslave per the directions
  3. I took down my ethernet connections per the directions
  4. I copyed my /etc/network/interfaces file to a backup
  5. I edited the /etc/network/interfaces file to have the bond0 connection in it  (Ha!  This font makes that look like Bond-O — as in the car-body repair goop; it should be bond[zero])
  6. I brought the bond0 interface up
  7. hooray!

I think it took me longer to type this than to actually do it.

Update:  There was one catch.  My /etc/resolv.conf file ended up blank this morning (i.e., after rebooting).  I find this  a little odd, but I was easily able to fix it by adding the entries back into it.  I now have that backed up so I don’t have to reference my router for that information.